Newport Bus Smartcards
Using one of the Newport Transport Smartcards, you can pay for your bus fare at a discounted rate and without looking for the exact fare! They operate, from as little as £1.90 a day. Happy days!
The Bamboo card is the children’s bus pass for discounted weekly, monthly and yearly bus travel for everyone between the age of 5 and 16. With the Bamboo
card, our bus services are cheaper and simpler.
BAMBOO Weekly pass just £10
BAMBOO Monthly pass only £30
BAMBOO Annual pass just £330
What are the benefits:
- Cheaper weekly, monthly and yearly bus prices compared to a daily child (Bamboo) paper ticket. [[save £5.40 a week with the weekly pass - based on 2 trips a day 7 days a week and save even more with the monthly pass – as of June 2019].
- Valid in Zone 1 (City wide) and Zone 2 (Cardiff and Cwmbran). For Zone 3 (60/73/74/X74), you will require to purchase a paper ticket on board – the fares are indicated on our timetable. You also have the option to purchase on board a child “Mon week” paper ticket or a 'Daily Network Rider' paper ticket. Fares information available here.
- No need to carry cash, simply use your topped-up bus card to scan on the ticket machine.
- No commitment - you top up your card with the pass you need (weekly or monthly), when you need it. A week is 7 days, a month is 30 days.
Buy your BAMBOO smartcard online - just visit our 'Shop Now' section and click on 'Smartcards' and then 'BAMBOO Card'. You can also visit Newport Bus Travel Centre at Newport Central Bus Station, Friars Walk, where our staff
will be pleased to help.
For full further information, please check out our FAQs page.
Youth Passport Smartcards
The Newport Bus Youth Passport card is for people aged between 16 and 21. It enables you to travel in zone 1 and 2 at a discounted rate, either with weekly,monthly or yearly passes or by using it a cash card for the occasional traveller.
What are the benefits?:
- Cheaper weekly, monthly and yearly passes compared to the daily City day even with the 33% off from the Welsh Government’s MyTravelPass card.
- Top it up with up to £20 credit and use it at bus cash card, to benefit of an extra 10% off when purchasing any paper tickets – like a Freedom card.
- Valid in Zone 1 and 2 as a weekly, monthly or yearly pass, or any zone when using it as a cash card.
To request a Youth Passport card, you will have to provide proof of age and be a resident in Wales. You can request it online or at our Travel Centre. The Passport card can be credited with the pass you require – weekly, monthly at the Travel centre or you can top it up with the travel credit you need.
For more information and how to apply, please visit the Youth Passport Card section.
Passport & Passport Plus Smartcards
Ideal for the regular over 21-years old passengers, the Newport Bus Passport and Passport Plus smartcards offer discounted travel in the form of weekly, monthly or yearly pass.
What are the benefits?:
- Cheaper weekly, monthly and yearly bus prices compared to daily paper ticket. [save £10.20 a week with the weekly pass - based on 2 trips a day 7 days a week and save even more with the monthly pass – as of June 2019]
- Valid in Zone 1 (City-wide area) and Zone 2 (Cardiff and Cwmbran) only. Our services in zone 3 have their own fare structure with weekly tickets which can be purchased on board of the bus – see the fare structure on the timetable or our Network Rider page.
- No commitment - you top up your card with the pass you need (weekly or monthly), when you need it. A week pass means 7 days of discounted travel and a month pass means 30 days.
You can purchase the Passport and Passport Plus online,
or at our Travel Centre. The Passport card will need to be credited with the pass you require – weekly, monthly or yearly. This can be done at the travel centre or on the bus by cash only for the weekly pass. When purchased online, the card will be posted by first class mail to your home address.
For further information, please take look at the FAQs section of our website.
This is the ideal bus cash card for the occasional traveller. Unlike the Passport and Passport Plus, where you pay for unlimited travel for a specific period of time, the Freedom card allows you to travel on any of our buses whenever you want - we simply deduct the ticket cost from your smartcard, with a 10% discount too.
What are the benefits?:
- Cheaper bus ticket with a 10% discount, whatever the ticket.
- No need for cash: top up the card by bank card at the travel shop up to £50.00 – The credit is stays on the card indefinitely, and only gets deducted when you use the card.
- No need for exact fare: top up the card on the bus with £1, £3, £5, £10 or £15 cash.
- Valid in any of Newport Bus Zones.
- You can share it with family and friends to use or for you to pay for their bus ticket when travelling together. It's your choice - it's Freedom!
You can purchase a pre-credited Freedom Card online, or at our Travel Centre. When purchased online, we will post the card free of charge to your home address, so that you can start using it straight-away.
Please check out the full details in our FAQs section.