Here are 5 things you need to know when catching the school services to secondary school:
1. Be on time at your stop and have your bus pass ready! We hope that you like the 2019/2020 orange chosen
for this year. Show your pass clearly to the driver for a free ride to school. No bus pass, no free ride – even when you are wearing your school uniform.
In that case, to get on the bus, you will be asked to purchase a ticket. An under-16 Bamboo single ticket costs £1.10 in Zone 1; that’s for the whole
city up to Caerleon to the east and Marshfield to the west. You can also use a Youth Passport card if you’re aged between 16 and 21.
If you lose your scholar’s pass, a replacement can be provided at the cost of £10.00 – Please contact us via the travel centre or the website contact form.
2. We operate most of the school services using the current local bus services. Some of these bus services operate
to/from the school grounds and will display the destination as a school route. These services, that are also open to the general public, are:
- St Joseph’s RC High School – SJ1 to SJ14
- Bassaleg School - B1 and B2
- The John Frost School – JF1 to JF4
- Ysgol Gyfun Gwent Is Coed – YG1
The other two secondary schools in Newport are served by the regular bus services – 74/74C for Llanwern High School and 15/16 for Newport High School.
Please respect the other passengers as all they want is to arrive at work on time.
3. Have fun on your journey to school, but respect your driver. Your safety is paramount. Our drivers are trained to drive
you safely to school and back, however, they must not be distracted while driving. It is, therefore, your job to stand well clear of the doors and
not to talk to the driver while en route. If they do not answer, they’re not being rude, they're doing their job. Here's a tip: Be nice to your drivers
and they’ll be nice to you back.
4. Lost properties - Every item left on the bus at the end of its shift is returned to the depot. We have a large number of lost properties
which are never claimed, so if you’ve forgotten something on the bus, get in touch and we will have a look for you. The popular items are PE kits,
musical instruments, art folders, mobile phones and umbrellas of course.
To claim your item, check with the travel centre in the first instance. You can also ring us at the depot on 01633 670563 or send us a message via our contact form.
5. If the bus is late due to traffic, don’t worry we will let the school know on your behalf.
If you didn’t qualify for a free of charge scholar pass to use the school services, we recommend that you purchase a Bamboo card – the under-16 bus card or a Youth Passport card – the
16-21 bus card. Both smartcards can be purchased with proof of age (birth certificate, passport or other official ID) at the travel shop or online
in our smartcard store.
To check if you qualify for a school bus pass, contact your council - Newport Council School Transport or Torfaen Council School Transport
Have a great school year and safe journeys. Happy Days!