If you’re a young person aged between 16 and 18 then the way you save money using Newport Bus is changing.

From July 3 you’ll need our new Youth Passport Card to get discounted young person fares. If you don’t have the card then you won’t be entitled to these discounts and will have to pay an adult fare when using the bus.

If you are aged between 16 and 18 and already have a Bamboo card then these changes still affect you. You will need to switch your Bamboo card to the new Youth Passport Card for free and any existing credit will be transferred to your new card. If you are under 16 you can continue using your Bamboo card as normal.

If you pay for paper tickets you’ll still need a Youth Passport card (without credit) as proof of your age to access the discount fare.

The Youth Passport Card stores discounted weekly and monthly travel credit – depending on how much you need. You just top the card up when you need more credit meaning as well as saving you money it’s flexible too.

The new card is being introduced because of changes being made by the Welsh Government.

To apply for the card you’ll need to complete an application form and include a recent passport sized photo as well as proof of your age. You can apply for the card at our Travel Centre at Newport Bus Station or by downloading the application form below and emailing it back to us at reception@newporttransport.co.uk with a passport size photo.

Youth Passport Application Youth Passport Application (295 KB)

Who needs the Youth Passport?

Anyone who uses our services and is between the ages of 16 &18.

Why do we need the Youth Passport?

Customers who are between the ages of 16 & 18 will need this card, or the Welsh Government MyTravelPass, to continue to pay child fares.

What will happen if I am 16-18 and don't have the Youth Passport?

From Monday 3rd July 2017 you will have to pay adult fare to use the bus.

I have a Bamboo Pass what will happen to this?

Your Bamboo Pass will be cancelled from Monday 3rd July 2017 so you must transfer to this card before the 3rd July. Any remaining credit on your Bamboo will be transferred to your new Youth Passport.

Where can I go to transfer my credit?

You can visit our Travel Shop in Newport Bus Station

What is different about this Youth Passport?

You can now top up this card with travel time (7 Days/30 Days/365 Days) but you can also top with cash amounts (£1, £3, £5 or multiples) to a maximum of £50.

How do I top up the Youth Passport?

You can top up with 7 Days or £20 maximum on a bus. For any other amounts you will have to visit our Travel Shop in Newport Bus Station.

I am paying with cash on the bus do I still need the pass?

Yes. Please show the driver your Youth Passport or MyTravelPass before tendering your money. The driver can then see you are eligible to pay a child fare.

What do I need to provide to get the pass?

Your name, Date of Birth, address, a recent passport sized photograph and proof of age

Why do I have to provide a photograph?

The photo is essential for bus drivers to verify quickly that you are the card holder.

When does the Youth Passport Expire?

The Youth Passport and any tickets remaining on your card will expire on your 19th Birthday.

What can I buy after my 19th Birthday?

On your 19th Birthday you are then eligible to purchase one of our Adult Passport products.

How do I apply for the Youth Passport?

By visiting our Travel shop in Newport Bus Station or online via www.newportbus.co.uk/youth-passport