New Career? New Company?
Time to join the team at Newport Bus and become an important part of the life of the city of Newport. We've got a £1500 joining bonus for PCV drivers at the moment!
Newport Bus has been bringing a vital service to the city and the surrounding areas for over 120 years - your turn to join the Green Revolution.
There are exciting changes ahead in our business, and to develop our service, we are recruiting full-time and part-time bus and mini-bus drivers. You will get the chance to drive our comfortable (and quiet) electric buses. Be part of the change!
What we offer
- Competitive salary (£12.65 p/h - min. £26,300 for 40hr week) plus joining bonus Click here for details.
- Permanent employment.
- Free staff bus (most South East Wales only).
- Free bus travel across our network and other operators. For you, your partner and eligible children (offering a saving of £350 for an annual child pass for example).
- Free uniform.
- Full training is provided for non-qualified PCV drivers (you get paid whilst training too).
- Continuous training is provided free for all our PCV drivers.
- Up to 28 days of holidays (inc. bank holidays) with your birthday as a paid day off and an extra 5 days after 5 years' service.
- Pension scheme with extra benefits.
- Employee Discount and Well-Being Scheme.
- Real opportunities for career progression, including moving to coach driving and management for the right person.
Who we are looking for
- You are customer-service driven. You enjoy being a helpful person. You are a safe driver. You are punctual and professional
Your duties are:
- Safe transportation of passengers, whilst providing professional customer care.
- Issuing tickets and receiving payment of fares (No cash handling required!).
- Operate the local bus services according to the routes and timing instructions.
- Delivering a friendly welcome on board. Answering questions and serving a diverse range of passengers (training provided).
- Portraying a high-quality image of our company to your passengers and the public.
- No need to park, wash your bus or count the monies at the end of your shift either - simple - just good driving and customer service.
We have open vacancies for full-time drivers only across a variety of shifts. The bus services provided by Newport Bus are delivered seven days a week, our drivers work any five days out of seven and their shifts can begin as early as 5 am with some finishing as late as 11 pm/midnight.
- At least 1-year full UK/EU driving licence (with less than 6 UK points). If unsure, check your license with the DVLA.
- Available to work across a variety of shifts. These include early mornings, late nights and weekends.
Trainee bus driver? We will provide full paid training. This includes your Passenger Carrying Vehicle license (PCV), and your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC).
We operate a funding training scheme for all new drivers, so you don't have to pay for anything! (unless you leave us before 12 months of service)
For qualified PCV drivers, the standard pay rate is £12.65 p/h. We also offer enhanced rates for unsociable hours [Monday to Saturday from 7 PM to 6 AM at £14.57 p/h and Sundays at £17.4 9p/h]. Overtime is also available; however, it is not contractual.
PCV driver Joining Bonus: we will pay a £1,500 joining bonus. It is paid in three instalments, £500 in your first wage packet, £500 on the second-month anniversary and £500 on the three-month anniversary of your start date.
Still hesitant? If you apply via the link, we will give you a ring and we can have a chat before you make your decision.
For trainee drivers, the salary is £11.65 p/h during training. Once you are a qualified PCV driver, the salary increases to the standard driver rate described above.
Do you have questions? Please get in touch at [email protected] or pop in at the bus station to speak to our drivers.