Being a bus driver for Newport Bus is more than just driving a bus. It’s the opportunity to work in a varied environment, meeting new people and to bring a vital service to the city of Newport and the surrounding areas. With so many projects in the pipeline, there’s never been a better time to join our team: new ticketing system, 14 brand-new fully electric buses, mobile app and more.
Be part of this exciting story. We provide you with the full training and with our training, driving a bus is easier than you think! "The trainers made it so easy and passing my test was a fantastic feeling too.”says Sarah.
What we are looking for is dependable people who are helpful and get on well with people. You must be a safe driver and calm under pressure. The main duties include:
- Transporting passengers safely, whilst providing professional customer care to each passenger; this includes delivering a friendly welcome on board, answering queries and serving a diverse range of passengers (training provided)
- Issuing tickets and receiving payment of the exact fares in line with the pricing structure
- Ensuring the vehicle is always driven safely and to high standards, respectful of other road users
- Ensuring you check your vehicle before commencing service and report any defects
- Following route and timing instructions
- Portraying a high-quality image of the company to passengers, other road users and the public
We currently have vacancies for full time and part-time (school terms only) drivers to operate the local bus services around the City
of Newport as well as contracted work, such as school buses, daytrips and private hire. Please apply using the form below.
- 1-year full UK driving licence (with no more than 6 points)
- Happy to work a variety of shifts including early mornings, late nights and weekends
If you are not a trained bus driver, we will provide full training towards Passenger Carrying Vehicle license (PCV) and Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC). We operate a self-funding training scheme for all new drivers. We also accept funding via the Welsh Government ReAct Programme.
Applicants with a PCV licence and a valid CPC are welcome.
We provide on-going in-house training to maintain Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) and more.
For drivers with a PCV licence and DCPC certificate, the salary is currently £9.00 p/h with enhanced overtime rates. (Pay rate to increase
to £9.65 p/h after the first fo April 2020).
For drivers without a PCV licence, the salary starts at £8.00 p/h during training for under 25, £8.21 for over 25, then increases to £9.00 p/h after 6 months of completed service. (Pay rate to increase to £8.72 p/h and £9.65 p/h after the first of April 2020).
From 1st April, due to a pending pay award, full time driving staff will have the potential to earn over £23,500 p/a!
An all-inclusive employer, Newport Transport offers leading enhanced overtime rates, up to 28 days holidays (including bank holidays)
with an extra 5 days after 5 years’ service, free bus travel for the employee, partner and eligible children. The company also
offer excellent opportunities for career progression.
Apply using our online application form below and one of the team will get in touch to arrange an interview. If you prefer, you can visit Newport Bus depot at 160, Corporation Road, Newport to fill in an application form.
N.B. We always handle your Personal Information in confidence - we will not share your application with any third party, nor will we
contact your existing employer at this initial stage of the application. This page is protected with a secure URL and 256 bit encryption.