At Newport Bus, we offer a wide range of value for money bus tickets, travel cards and mobile-tickets (m-tickets) to make it easy and cost-effective to travel around the city of Newport, up to Cardiff, Cwmbran, Chepstow and Monmouth.
Our affordable travel tickets options are split into 3 zones - Newport, Cardiff and Cwmbran and East Monmouthshire – find out more about our zones here.
Paper tickets issued on board:
The payment is by cash (exact fare only), contactless or with Newport Bus Freedom smartcard. The bus fares are indicated in the table below:
- Single Tickets
- City Hopper Tickets – up to 3 stops to Newport Bus Station
- City Day and City Day Plus Ticket – unlimited day travel
- Family Ticket – unlimited day travel in zone 1 and 2 for two adults and up to three children
- Cardiff Bus Day to Go and Day to go Plus (adult, youth, child and family) - Route 30 only plus unlimited service on Cardiff Bus
- MonDay Ticket - unlimited day travel on the entire Newport Bus network (Zone 1, 2, and 3)
- MonWeek Ticket – unlimited weekly travel on the entire Newport Bus network (Zone 1, 2, and 3)
- Daily, Daily Family and Weekly Network Rider Tickets - unlimited travel in all the Newport Bus network and other South East Wales operators – see our Network Rider page for full details.
Mobile tickets and cards accepted as fares:
No ticket is issued by the driver when using the cards below or the mobile app ticket. Simply place your card on the ticket machine reader for registration or show your ticket to the driver. Click here for full details on the Newport Bus smartcards or here for information on our mobile app.
- Weekly and 4-weekly Newport Bus Passport and Passport Plus (over 22) *
- Weekly, 4-weekly and Annual Newport Bus Youth Passport (16 to 21)
- Weekly, 4-weekly and Annual Newport Bus Bamboo card (under 16)
- PlusBus Ticket – purchased together with your railway ticket at the railway station – see PlusBus ticket page for more information
- Cardiff Bus Service 30 Day Return ticket, Day-to-Go ticket or the relevant Iff App boarding code, when travelling along the Route 30 between Cardiff and St Mellons only
- Cardiff Bus Service 30 Day Return ticket, Day-to-Go Plus ticket or the relevant Iff App boarding code, when travelling along the full Route 30
- Cardiff Bus Weekly/4 Week /Annual Day to Go ticket or the relevant Iff App boarding code, when travelling along the full route 30.
If using the Cardiff Bus Iff App, the boarding codes will be validated by the driver.
- Newport Bus City Day Plus, Passport Plus and mobile tickets are also accepted on Cardiff Bus, route 30 only. For information on Cardiff Bus ticket used on the 30 service, visit Cardiff Bus page
* Adult annual tickets are available via your employer - please contact us for more information.
New Fares from January 5, 2020. The flyer can also be downloaded here.
|ZONE 1 - City of Newport
||ZONE 1 & 2 - Cardiff and Cwmbran||ZONE 3 - Chepstow and Monmouth|
||£2.50|| See timetable
||£1.35||£1.65|| See timetable
||£1.25||£1.75|| See timetable
|City Day and City Day Plus||Adult (+22)||£4.00||£5.00|
|All Day Family Ticket||two adults and up to three children||£8.50|
|Mon Day||Adult (+22)||£8.00|
|Daily Network RIder||Adult (+22)||£8.30|
|Daily Family Network Rider||Two adults and up to three children||£16.50|
|Weekly Network Rider||Adult (+22)||£26.00|
* Youth tickets are issued only on presentation of a valid Youth passport card or the Welsh Government MyTravelPass.
** Child singles and day tickets are also called Bamboo paper tickets and do not require the presentation of a Bamboo card. However, Newport Transport reserves the right to ask older looking customers for identification.
*** Guide and assistance dogs travel free of charge. Dogs must not travel on seats. Well-behave dogs will be allowed to travel at the sole discretion of the bus driver. Dogs or other small animasl must not interfere with the safety and wellbeing of any other passengers. The driver can require the removal of any animal from the vehicle if it causes inconvenience. The Dangerous Dogs Act applies.