At Newport Bus, we offer a wide range of value for money bus tickets and travel cards to make it easy and cost-effective to travel around the city of Newport, up to Cardiff, Cwmbran, Chepstow and Monmouth.
Our affordable travel tickets options are split in 3 zones - Newport, Cardiff and Cwmbran and East Monmouthshire – find out more about our zones here.
Paper tickets issued on board:
The payment is by cash, exact change only, or you can use Newport Bus Freedom smartcard for a cashless alternative. The bus fares are indicated in the table below:
- Single Tickets
- City Hopper Tickets – up to 3 stops to Newport Bus Station
- City Day and City Day Plus Ticket – unlimited day travel
- Family Ticket – unlimited day travel in zone 1 and 2 for two adults and up to three children
- MonWeek Ticket – unlimited weekly travel in the 3 zones, ticket issued on the bus for travel on Newport Bus ZONE 3 routes only (60, 73, 74, X74) or at the travel centre
- Daily, Daily Family and Weekly Network Rider Tickets - unlimited travel in all the Newport Bus network and other South East Wales operators – see our Network Rider page for full details.
Cards and ticket accepted as fares:
No ticket is issued by the driver when using the cards below. Simply tap your card on the ticket machine for registration or show your ticket to the driver. Click here for full details on the Newport Bus smartcards.
- Weekly, Monthly or Annual Newport Bus Passport and Passport Plus (over 22)
- Weekly, Monthly or Annual Newport Bus Youth Passport (16 to 21)
- Weekly, Monthly or Annual Newport Bus Bamboo card (under 16)
- PlusBus Ticket – purchased together with your railway ticket at the railway station – see PlusBus ticket page for more information
- Cardiff Bus Day-to-Go ticket or the relevant Iff App boarding code, when travelling along the Route 30 between Cardiff and St Mellons only
- Cardiff Bus Day-to-Go Plus ticket or the relevant Iff App boarding code, when travelling along the full Route 30
- Cardiff Bus Weekly/4 Week /Annual Day to Go ticket or the relevant Iff App boarding code, when travelling along the full route 30.
If using the Cardiff Bus Iff App, the boarding codes will be validated by the driver.
- Newport Bus City Day Plus and Passport Plus are also accepted on Cardiff Bus, route 30 only.
At present, Newport Bus operates cash fares - exact change only. To make paying for bus fare easier, we offer a Free of Charge Freedom card that enables to pay for any of the tickets listed. Click here for more information and request your Freedom card.
New Fares from January 5, 2020. Flyer can also be downloaded here.
|ZONE 1 - City of Newport
||ZONE 1 & 2 - Cardiff and Cwmbran||ZONE 3 - Chepstow and Monmouth|
||£2.50|| See timetable
||£1.35||£1.65|| See timetable
||£1.25||£1.75|| See timetable
|City Day and City Day Plus||Adult (+22)||£4.00||£5.00|
|All Day Family Ticket||two adults and up to three children||£8.50|
|Daily Network RIder||Adult (+22)||£8.30|
|Daily Family Network Rider||Two adults and up to three children||£16.50|
|Weekly Network Rider||Adult (+22)||£26.00|
* Youth tickets are issued only on presentation of a valid Youth passport card or the Welsh Government MyTravelPass.
** Child singles and day tickets are also called Bamboo paper tickets and do not require the presentation of a Bamboo card. However, Newport Transport reserves the right to ask older looking customers for identification.
*** Guide and assistance dogs travel free of charge. Dogs must not travel on seats. Well-behave dogs will be allowed to travel at the sole discretion of the bus driver. Dogs or other small animasl must not interfere with the safety and wellbeing of any other passengers. The driver can require the removal of any animal from the vehicle if it causes inconvenience. The Dangerous Dogs Act applies.
Newport Bus Smartcards
Regular bus users in zone 1 and 2 will benefit from one of Newport Transport Smartcards, saving them time and money. You can ride from as little as £1.90 a day. Valid on Newport Bus only.
New Fares from January 5, 2020. Flyer can be downloaded here.
BAMBOO - the smartcard for everyone between 5 and 16
- Weekly pass costs £11 for 7 days of unlimited travel in Zone 1 and 2
- Monthly pass only £33 for 4 full weeks of unlimited travel in Zone 1 and 2
- Annual pass just £350 for 12 months of unlimited travel in Zone 1 and 2
YOUTH PASSPORT - the smartcard for everyone between 16 and 21
- Weekly pass costs £11 for 7 days unlimited travels in Zone 1
- Monthly pass costs £34 for 4 full weeks unlimited travel in Zone 1
- Annual pass costs £350 for 12 months of unlimited travel in Zone 1
Zone 1 and 2
- Weekly pass costs £13.50 for 7 days unlimited travels in Zone 1 and 2
- Monthly pass costs £40 for 4 full weeks unlimited travel in Zone 1 and 2
- Annual pass costs £415 for 12 months of unlimited travel in Zone 1 and 2
PASSPORT & PASSPORT PLUS - the smartcards for everyone aged over 22
- The red PASSPORT card covers Zone 1 only
- Passport Weekly pass costs £16 for 7 days unlimited travels
- Passport Monthly pass costs £50 for 4 full weeks unlimited travel
- The blue PASSPORT PLUS card covers Zone 1 and 2.
- Passport Plus Weekly pass costs £20 for 7 days unlimited travels
- Passport Plus Monthly pass costs £60 for 4 full weeks unlimited travel
Request your smartcards online, at the Travel Centre at Newport Central Bus Station, Friars Walk, Newport or our depot on 160, Corporation Road. You will need to provide proof of age (passport, ID card or birth certificate) for the Bamboo and a passport-size photo as well for the Youth Passport cards.
Full details can be found on our page – How Smartcards work?